Welcome to the Imagenarium: Creative Practices for Teaching and Learning
16th Annual Habla Teacher Institute, July 22-26, 2024 | Mérida, México
Enter the Imaginarium—a space where unparalleled creativity comes to life. Open the doors to your students’ new ideas, innovative thinking, and creative capacities. Transform your classroom from one of delivery and instruction to one of students’ unique and original energy.
This year’s Habla Teacher Institute will demonstrate how we can create spaces that amplify our students’ stories, lived worlds, languages, and their creative and intellectual capacities. Teachers will receive a set of concrete, interdisciplinary tools that can be applied to different age groups and settings. Experience what project-based, student-centered, hands-on learning can be.
At this institute teachers will learn how to:
- design a “translanguaging pedagogy” incorporating, fusing, and developing multiple languages in the classrooms space
- integrate “multiple modalities” in student work including visual, textual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning
- think beyond the traditional delivery approach of education to the “experience” approach designing engaging and inspirational experiences for all students
- bring strategies and activities that will engage all students and provide multiple opportunities for differentiated learning
- build a thriving and supportive classroom community that fosters kindness, care, and equity
The Habla Institute will be highly interactive and participatory. Sessions are hands-on workshops where participants will “learn by doing.” The event will culminate in an exhibition of work on the final day, modeling how we can make our students’ learning visible to our global education communities and classrooms.
The institute is designed for teachers of every discipline and of all age levels from preschool to higher ed.
At the core of every institute is the Habla Constellation—a set of foundational principles that place multimodal learning, equity, and diversity at the center of learning.
Each year Habla collaborates with Arnold Aprill and his organization Radical Compliance Arts and Learning Laboratory to find innovative ways to document the institute. Visit here and learn more about the experience at the 2022 Teacher Institute: How We Learned To Fly.
2024 Institute Cost
Breakfast: Morning Fuel
Morning Session: Professional Growth
Lunch: Networking Break
Afternoon Session: Practical Learning
Address: Calle 26 No. 99-B x 19 y 21 Col. México Mérida, Yucatán, México C.P. 97125